Thursday, January 28, 2010

2 Quilts Later

Ben gave me a sewing maching for Christmas! I was a little afraid of it at first, but determined to put it to use. So the easiest project to start with . . . a blanket. Ben bought fabric for a blanket that he thought Daila would like. He bought it after I had sewed (with a little help from my mom) a flannel blanket for Daila for preschool. I tried to do it in the same way as my first blanket, but one fabric was flannel and one was a silky . . . something. But it turned out alright. Not my best work, but hey . . . it was my first independent project.

Well I've just finished my second independent project (even though it was the first project I started). I tied a new quilt for Ben for his birthday. I just sewed up the edge today. Better. Still not there yet. But I'm learning so much.

I guess I'll start on a quilt for Janae. Her blanket is getting pretty old. It will give me a chance to put what I've learned to the test. And if it's not perfect . . . we'll try another quilt for Anna. LOL

You may think I'm crazy, but its the easiest way I know to learn how to sew. And the cool thing about getting a new sewing machine is that it came with two DVDs! How cool is that?! So I've got some tutorials to watch and I'll be hemming denim and making skirts in no time. And one day . . . as Ben is eager to inform me . . . I will have 3 wedding dresses to sew. (Mother help me . . . literally.) haha . . . my mom is an amazing seamstress. Pretty stressed out at the moment, but amazing. So I told her that when the girls turn 16ish, we had to start sewing their wedding dresses. They would be old enough to know their style and be close to their adult size and that might . . . MIGHT . . . give me and my mom enough time to learn/teach/sew a wedding gown.

Anyway . . . I'm excited to be sewing. Discouraged by the imperfections but encouraged by the lessons I'm learning through experience. Wish me luck! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wedding dresses are very challenging. But don't start when they are 16. That will be too much pressure on them.LOL and you don't want them to get married to early. I think good beginner sewing projects are shorts or pajama bottoms. Basically you only have 2 peices, front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh . . . pajama pants . . . that's a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete