Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Training Update

Distance running is really difficult for me. I wouldn't say it's "fun". I wouldn't say it gives me an "adrenaline rush". But I can say I enjoy the challenge. It's really hard, but I still manage to give it my best effort. I don't think I would have been able to do this mentally, physically, or emotionally, if I hadn't learned some of those lessons through my weight loss efforts. I'm realizing the lessons I've learned would fall under the category of "power over yourself". Because I am my own worst enemy.

It's painful. But I think I'm finally hitting my stride (no pun intended). I'm finally able to increase my pace and I'm excited by that achievement. I can't increase it much, because every little change seems to make a huge difference in endurance running . . . "in the long run". (haha! Okay the pun was intended that time.)

Last Saturday I ran 10 miles in an hour and 55 min. I walked some, but my average pace was still more than 5 miles an hour. A huge fete for me! 11.5 min miles. Kinda cool. I still have a long way to go to run that half-marathon on April 10th, but at least it seems less hopeless. I may even enjoy the first half of the race before the pain of my hips and legs distracts me. I have made huge progress in my attitude and abilities and I'm confident I will preform well the day of the race. I've been working hard, giving it my best, no matter how daunting it feels at the time. And that sense of accomplishment is all the reward I'll need. To cross the finish line knowing it was my best effort in a difficult task that didn't come easy to me and that wasn't always "fun", will be my crowning achievement.

I don't consider myself a "runner", because they seem to enjoy it so much. But maybe, just maybe, they feel the same way as me. Or maybe some of them do. Running is hard and it isn't fun; but being able to overcome that and perform well in spite of it feels amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Go you!! I am proud of you! I wish I could be there to run with you. I always sign myself up for a race when I'm about 6 months pregnant, it forces me back to it quickly once the babe has arrived! I have a 10K the first weekend in May. I ran about 2 and 1/2 miles yesterday, it was ugly...hard, my lungs burned and I peed my pants (apparently there is still some futher tightening up to do!). LOL. Surely it will get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Thanks for the comment. I wish we could run together too. It's reasuring to hear stories from experienced runners. I still have so much to learn. And it's nice to talk to someone who understands. (Like about my fear of having to go #2 while running the race.)
    I ran another 10 this past Saturday and didn't do as well on time. Go figure. The 20 mph gusts may have had something to do with it. And now my knee is sore and I'm wondering if I should push through it or take it easy . . . and then I'm like "whoa. Since when did I care so much about my performance on this race?" Guess I'm more of a "runner" than I thought. :)

    ReplyDelete