Saturday, April 16, 2011

I Survived a Half-Marathon!

Look at me! I finished a half-marathon on April 10, 2011! And I didn't even pass out! (Not bad for a novice.) :) I finished in 2 hours and 38 minutes (12:06 min mile average), which was right smack dab in the middle of my goal range. Yeah I'm kinda proud of myself... just a little.

I pushed my pace at the end of a hilly course and nearly peed my pants as a result. So the first thing I looked for when I crossed the finish line? My family cheering me on? No. A port-a-potty. They really should have them available immediately. Instead, I had to walk past the water station (quickly grabbing the water bottle offered), snatch up my finisher's medal, walked past the bananas and food bag (I mean c'mon! Where's the stupid potty already!?!), past the photo station (cuz there was a line), and out to the family meeting area where I finally found a potty. So when I went back to get my banana and have my picture taken, the guard said, "Sorry. Once you leave the area, we can't let you back in." :( Listen dude. I just ran my first half-marathon...in 80 degree humid Missouri weather with the sun beating down on me in the middle of the street in downtown St. Louis, passing people with portable IV's on the side of the road and screaming in muscle pain . . . I'm going to get a picture and I'll be right back out. He said, "ok."

A candid photo from Paula's phone while we were waiting in the last corral before the race. (Gotta get myself in a middle corral next time.) My sistahs: Paula, me, Becky, and Amanda. (My nephew Kaylun started before us.) She had zoomed in to get a picture of the "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon." sign so the first one just captured Amanda's big grin. Hilarious.

It was hot. And hilly. Did I mention it was hot?
The signs and crowds were sooo helpful. They were motivating and humorous and overall just helped me stay positive and focused.

The clock says 2:52, but my official chip time was 2:38. The discrepency is because I started in the "slow people" corral. ;-) We were in the last group to pass through the starting line arch (which electronically tracks us by a chip in our race bib), and it took me 14 minutes from "starting time" to actually "start". Let's just say there were A LOT of people.

Post race pic. Tired muscles finally found some shade. What an awesome experience I had! I said I would never do another one . . . but I'm secretly planning to run the Rock 'n Roll in October. :-} What's happening to me?!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment