Isn't he cute. :) Ben took two weeks off of work to study for his classes and of course plans changed and he found himself with some extra time. Well of course he couldn't just relax in his spare time . . . oh no not Ben. So he decides he is going to sand down our front porch and stain it. Here are some before and after pictures:


This is like original wood porch we're working with. So that's like 80 years old. And the previous owners have just been painting it. So it is very slippery in the winter and dirty and chipped and . . . well . . . ugly.
They didn't use any kind of decking or outdoor type materials. Ben says the wood is the same kind that was used inside the house. Weird huh. So needless to say it is very weathered, beat up, and rotten in places. We should really replace it, but we weren't prepared for that kind of project.
I'm kinda used to the blue and it has taken me awhile to get wrap my head around other possible colors.
Isn't that beautiful potential!?!
Ben suggested a clear stain and I agree with him now. It will show much of the wood's imperfections but the color is so lovely! I had talked him into doing a brown tinted stain so the dirt would not show up as well, but when we did a test area neither one of us liked it. 

The project is not complete. The stain color decision has put us back on finishing it but it's coming right along. We'll be changing the pillars' color too. We had decided to do a brown-tinted stain and a green colored stain for the pillars, but now I'm not sure what will happen. Stay tuned. ;)
I really like the look of the wood! Can't wait to see the finished product!
ReplyDeletewowsers; that's a lot of work! It's lookin' good and I'm excited to see what you guys decide on :)
ReplyDeleteThat is a big job! What a neat house... I love old houses. I have been refinishing my kitchen table. I can only do it for an hour in the morning and then a bit in the evening right before dark, because it is just too hot during the day(106 yesterday). And I, too, didn't choose the right color of stain, so it's back to the store for me today!
ReplyDelete