Monday, June 22, 2009

Visiting Grandpa

My dad has several health concerns: He's diabetic, has a pacemaker, on blood thinners, and seizure medication, a cancer survivor, and has myelodysplastic syndrome. MDS is like pre leukemia and is a result of his chemo and radiation treatments from cancer. He is not making enough healthy blood cells and his immune system is weakened. He cannot get a bone marrow transplant so they are managing the disease with medications (to which his body is building a resistance). So we had a little scare the week before Fathers' Day . . . . Dad was very sick, short of breath, and weak. His temperature was high so he was taken to the hospital where we found out he had pneumonia. But he wasn't improving with the normal medicine so they did a bronchial wash to try to obtain a culture to find out what kind of virus was causing the pneumonia. The medicine they gave him for the bronchial wash caused strain on his heart so they moved him to ICU. The bronchial wash didn't give us any answers so they made plans to take him off the blood thinners so they could do a biopsy. But luckily that's when all the prayers and blessings kicked in because he improved enough that the doctors didn't think a biopsy would be necessary and they released him a few days later. He was home for Fathers' Day weekend! He is looking so much better here, just a day before being released, playing cribbage with Ben, Jeff, and Becky in his ICU room. Okay . . . going around the room counter-clockwise. Here is Jeff (peace out homie) and Becky. Apparently it is her turn with the crib since she is shuffling.
Anna and Janae were by the bathroom door playing Barbies and Daila was going back and forth between them and the movie on the laptop. You can play cribbage with 2, 3, 4, and 6 players. I was player 5. :( No problem cuz I thought of that and brought a book to read while I listened to the gaming antics. (Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan)Ah . . . our fearless photographer.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, thank you so much for explaining what is up with your dad. Somehow I missed out on a few key elements (much like a negative and a negative makes a positive in alegebra... the do over algebra year the next year I did MUCH better!). I knew about some of his health concerns but I didn't understand how they were related or influeced each other.

    I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better and he's been in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete